AnAge entry for Lasius niger
Classification (HAGRID: 00009)
Phylum: Arthropoda (Taxon entry)
Class: Insecta (Taxon entry)
Family: Formicidae (Taxon entry)
- Lasius niger
- Common name
- Black garden ant
Lifespan, ageing, and relevant traits
- Maximum longevity
- 28 years
- ref. 411
- Sample size
- Data quality
Like in other species of ants, there are major differences in longevity between queens and workers. Workers normally live up to 1-2 years while queens have can live up to 28 years .
Queens have been found to express more genes related with the immune system, nutrition and resistance to oxidative stress (specifically SOD3), when compared with worker ants .
Life history traits (averages)
- No information is available on life history. Please contact us if you wish to suggest or contribute data.
No information on metabolism is available.
-  Lucas and Keller (2018), Elevated expression of ageing and immunity genes in queens of the black garden ant (PubMed)
-  Jemielity et al. (2007), Short telomeres in short-lived males: what are the molecular and evolutionary causes? (PubMed)
-  Graff et al. (2007), Differential gene expression between adult queens and workers in the ant Lasius niger (PubMed)
-  Parker et al. (2004), Decreased expression of Cu-Zn superoxide dismutase 1 in ants with extreme lifespan (PubMed)