GenAge entry for Orco (Drosophila melanogaster)
Gene information (ID: 483)
- 83A.2; 83b; A45; CG10609; Dmel\CG10609; DOR45; DOR83b; OR
- Odorant receptor co-receptor
- Drosophila melanogaster (AnAge)
- Known functions and activities
- Odorant receptor
Potential relevance to longevity and/or ageing
- Loss-of-function mutation resulted in olfactory defects, altered adult metabolism, enhanced stress resistance, and life-extension. Female Or83b2 mutant flies showed a 56% increase in median lifespan and a 30% increase in maximum lifespan. Males were also long-lived, though to a smaller degree and maximum lifespan was not extended. Heterozygous mutants of both sexes showed an intermediate longevity. Dietary restriction further extended lifespan.
- % change in max lifespan
- Maximum female lifespan is 30% higher.
- % change in avg or median lifespan
- Median female lifespan is 56% higher.
- Lifespan Effect
- Genetic Manipulation
- Longevity Category
- Primary reference
In other databases
- GenDR gene manipulations
- This gene is present as Or83b
Homologs in other organisms
No homologs found